Tips on Grooming your Dog
Keeping your dog well groomed is a great way to keep your dog healthy and clean. You should inspect your dog regularly and give your dog regular baths to keep them free of odours and pests like fleas and ticks. It is a great idea to bath your dog after visiting the beach to wash away the sand and salt.
Washing your dog is made easier if you begin to introduce baths into your dogs routine when your dog is just a puppy. If you have a long haired dog it is a great idea to have their hair trimmed and brushed on a regular basis to avoid serious knots.
Keeping your dogs nails short is important and you can either do this yourself or visit your local vet. If you have never trimmed your dogs nails before its best to get some tips from your vet before you do so.
While you are looking after your dogs appearance be sure to pay attention to their teeth. There are many treats available that are great for keeping their teeth and gums healthy. If your dogs teeth are looking a bit tired then a simple trip to you vet or local dog grooming centre could solve this.
Basic Grooming Tips (provided by Kramar Salon Series)
- Regular grooming keeps your dog's coat clean, healthy and manageable. Following the steps below will help keep your pet well groomed, smelling nice and most importantly, healthy and happy.
- Comb your dog to remove any matting, loose hair and dirt. Matts enlarge and become unmanageable when wet. For short hair dogs, we recommend using the Grooming Comb, as well as the Loose Hair Remover for stubborn matts. When brushing your dog, ensure you brush in the same direction as the fur grows. For dogs that shed, we recommend also using the Undercoat Remover as this will remove any loose hair and thin out the undercoat.
- Bathe your dog with a shampoo that is specifically formulated for dogs. Make sure the water is warm. The Bathing Mitt or Bathing Brush promotes lathering to stimulate your dog's coat as well as remove any additional loose hair. Avoid getting shampoo in your dog's eyes.
- Rinse well.
- Towel dry or blow dry your dog ensuring its feet are dried thoroughly to avoid fungus taking hold.
- Trim your dog's nails. Only use nail clippers that are designed for dogs. To avoid clipping the vein, trim a little at a time. We recommend the Nail Clippers.
- Clean your dog's teeth. Only use toothpaste specifically formulated for dogs as regular toothpaste isn't safe for a dog to swallow. If this process is too difficult, we recommend giving your dog KraMar Chew N Kleen rawhide products.
- Clean your dog's ears by using a bit of water on a cotton wool ball. Only clean the exterior areas.
- Finish with a good brush to ensure a shiny smooth coat. We recommend the Brush N Shine.
If you encounter difficulties in grooming your dog take him to a professional groomer. The dog groomer can also give you advice and more tips on how to deal with your specific dog.
KraMar Pet Care has been developing quality pet products for over 50 years. Each product is selected for its superior quality and effectiveness and is backed by the KraMar 100% unconditional product guarantee.
Australian Pet Shop has a large range of pet products featured on the website. However, if there is something which you need that is not currently featured please contact us for a competitive quote on all your pet supplies.
© Australian Pet Shop Pty Ltd Since 2008